Saturday, March 24, 2012

                                       Four Stories Of Love At
                                                   First Sight
                                                                          by
                                                               Ashley Calais Miller

Do you believe in love at first sight? Well whether you do or not meet four characters who did.....like Cyrus, a workaholic sports agent who had to let go of one love to find true love. Meet Benjamin, a bored husband who had to be reminded of why it was love at first sight with his wife. Meet Lily, a young woman who moved to Africa and found true love which was accompanied with heartache, sabotage and jealousy. Lastly meet Christopher who experienced love at first sight in an airport which led  him down the rocky road of dealing with her family issues and his own stalker, an ex-girlfriend. Through it all their love survived.
A 64 page collection of four separate stories that read like full-length novels!

     Hi! It's me Cyrus! So glad you found me and thanks so much for stopping by! Hope you're ready to read my short story because it begins now!

Cyrus Of New York

Chapter One

     A twenty-one year old bachelor named Cyrus lived in New York and worked as a sports agent. On this particular evening he sat in his studio apartment thinking. He left his office at noon because for once he was tired from all the hours he usually worked. He needed to re-evaluate his life because he was tired of the way things were going.
     He was a workaholic who worked twelve to fourteen hour days seven days a week. This normally would have affected his social life but luckily for him he had a girlfriend who was a workaholic too. Their one year relationship worked because each knew that they could only spend a few hours at a time together due to work related traveling and their everyday busy schedules. His girlfriend, Cynthia, was suppose to stop by his apartment on this particular night to talk.
     Unfortunately his busy and time consuming lifestyle also put a strain on his fourteen year old friendship with his best friend Brian. He now only saw or heard from him every other month. They had went to grammer school, high school and one year of college together. Dating girls in high school became the first strain on their friendship. This was the start of them not hanging out together as much.
     They both had one girlfriend in their junior year but Brian realized that one girl wasn't enough for him. He cheated on his girlfriend for the rest of their junior year until she finally quit him. During their senior year he dated everyone he could. Cyrus on the other hand stayed loyal to his girlfriend for their junior and senior year, but they broke up anyway right after graduation because she went out of state to college. Neither wanted to pursue a long distance relationship.
     The second strain on their friendship came when Brian and Cyrus went to the same college where Brian continued to be promiscuous while Cyrus concentrated on his studies. Unfortunately they both became interested in the same young woman. Cyrus wanted the chance to fall in love with

                                                                   Page 2

the woman and start a relationship while Brian lusted after the woman and wanted a one night stand with her. Neither got the older woman,....she was married. This was when Cyrus decided no more women until he graduated so he would not be distracted amd could continue to concentrate on his studies. Brian on the other hand wanted to continue his fooling around with different women and wasn't interested in his studies because they were interfering with his chasing women. He also needed money to wine and dine the women so he dropped out of college and began to look for a job.
     Cyrus felt that Brian wasn't taking his life seriously. He didn't want a career, he just wanted a job. He actually had ten jobs since he dropped out of college three years ago. He claimed he had to find the right one. He once told Cyrus that he thought of women the same way. He would rather date a lot of different women than commit to just one and have to deal with a stable relationship and its responsibilities.
     Cyrus was a little jealous of Brian's lifestyle because it was an easy way out of facing grown up responsibilities. Cyrus was tired of following the rules that Brian refused to follow, but he knew that he had to because it was a part of growing up. Fortunately Cyrus realized that he was taking the responsibilities of life a little to serious. He was working way too much on purpose so he wouldn't have to deal with his so called life. This way he wouldn't have time to spend with Brian and see how much fun he was having being free when he wanted by changing women and jobs at a drop of the hat.
     Cyrus also didn't have to spend time with his own girlfriend Cynthia who he obviously didn't love or he wouldn't be happy that they only got together four full days out of each month. Obviously his girlfriend wasn't in love with him either or she wouldn't be happy being a workaholic.
     Cyrus had been thinking lately that maybe it was time to change his thinking when it came to his career and love life. Just then his telephone rang and he saw that it was his best friend Brian after looking at the caller I.D. He answered it.
     "Hey Brian, what's up with you?"

                                                                    Page 3

     "A lot. Remember Lindsey?" Brian asked.
     "Yeah. Haven't you dumped her yet or are you just cheating on her?"
     "None of the above. The old me would have done that by now, but that guy is gone. I'm in love man. I'm in love with Lindsey. Cyrus, I think I want to spend the rest of my life with her."
     "Really Brian? This can't be my love 'em and leave 'em one night stand Brian saying this to me is it?"
     "Like I said, that was the old me."
     "What do you mean the old you? There's no such thing as an old you. You're just you man. Why should I believe there's a new you now?"
     "Because you just have to trust me. Lindsey is special."
     "Trust you saying that you're a one woman man now? I don't think so but maybe some old dogs can learn new tricks." Cyrus joked.
     "That's right. I'm a new dog. Truly. I'm crazy about Lindsey Cyrus."
     "Well if that's true, I'm happy for you Brian. Can I ask you something?"
     "Yeah. What is it?"
     "Why at this time in your life you want to settle for one woman?"
     "True love." Brian smiled.
     "Really?"
     "Yeah really because love brings you close to that one special person. No one else is involved and no one else will be. I know you've had girlfriends and the relationships lasted a while, but have you ever been truly in love Cyrus?"
     "No,...I guess I haven't. I cared for the two women I've been involved with, but I don't believe it was true love."
     "Well when you feel it, you won't be able to deny it. You'll see."
     "Well, I believe that I'm ready to try this true love thing too. I want to spend the rest of my life with one special woman too. I'm even willing to work a normal work week to do it too."

                                                                   Page 4

     "It's about time you let some of those hours go and stop being a workaholic. I'm proud of you."
     "Me too. By the way, what about your finding a permanent job? You know if you're going to have a stable relationship you should have one stable job too."
     "I plan on working on that too. Right now I'm going to work on Lindsey and besides, she has a stable job. She can take care of me." Brian laughed as Cyrus did too.
     "Well I got to get off this phone. Cynthia should be here any minute. She wants to talk."
     "Uh-oh. That doesn't sound too good."
     "I'm sure it's not good but now at least I have some bad news for her too. I better go now. It was good hearing from you Brian. Maybe we can shoot some hoops or take a ride along the bike trail at the park together soon."
     "Sounds good. Give me a call when you're free."
     "Okay I will. Later man."
     "Later." Brian said and hung up as Cyrus' door opened and Cynthia walked in holding the key Cyrus had copied for her. Before he got a chance to tell her that he didn't love her and wanted to end the relationship, she told him that she was offered a more demanding position at their agency. She accepted it even though it was located overseas. She was going to help open up a branch office and find new foreign sports clients. She also received a raise. Unfortunately she was needed right away so she had to leave that night. Her plane was leaving in three hours so she had to go. She gave him back his key and they both agreed to end the relationship so there wouldn't be a long distance one. They gave each other a kiss goodbye and each wished the other a good life. She left and Cyrus celebrated with a glass of wine.

     The next afternoon Cyrus called Brian to see if he was available to go to the park. The phone rang and rang. Obviously Brian wasn't home so Cyrus went alone. While riding his bike in the park later he saw Brian and a young woman sitting on a park bench kissing.
     "Brian!" Cyrus shouted and waved. Brian and the woman looked his way as Cyrus rode over to them.

                                                                     Page 5

They stood up as he reached them. Unfortunately Brian didn't notice the way his girlfriend was smiling and winking at Cyrus.
     "Hey Cyrus. This is my girlfriend Lindsey. Lindsey this is my best friend Cyrus." Brian introduced as she shook his hand.
     "Hey Cyrus. Nice to meet you. I heard so much about you." she smiled squeezing his hand and gave him a kiss on the cheek.
     "Hi Lindsey. It's nice to meet you too. Brian has told me a lot about you and now I see why I couldn't get him today. I tried calling your apartment and your cell phone Brian. You should turn it on." Cyrus said as he noticed Lindsey checking him out by staring really hard at him from head to toe.
     "Come on now Cyrus, I can't be rude and talk to people on my cell phone while I'm out with my lady." Brian smiled and kissed her cheek.
     "Excuse me honey, but could I talk to Cyrus for just a second? I need to get his opinion about something. It's a surprise involving you." she smiled.
     "Well in that case sure you can but just as long as it's just for a second." Brian smiled as Cyrus looked on curious. Cyrus slowly got off his bike as she put her arm in his and they walked a few feet away.
     "Cyrus you're really cute and I was just wondering if you'd like to have a little fun on the side with me. Brian doesn't have to know that we're fooling around behind his back. So what do you say, want to have some fun?"
     "Sure I do, but not with you. Don't ever dis my boy like that again." Cyrus said angrily as he walked back over to Brian as Lindsey cleared her throat, smiled and walked back over to them. She held Brian's hand as Cyrus picked up his bike.
     "Well Brian, I think it's time for me to leave. I want to see if I can find me a true girlfriend and not some flirtatious cheat like Lindsey here. You better keep an eye on your girlfriend Brian. She just asked me to sleep with her behind your back. I'd think twice about spending the rest of my life with her if I were you. Talk to you later." Cyrus said, got back on his bike and pedaled away as Brian let go of Lindsey's hand and stared angrily at her.
     "I think we better talk my flirtatious cheating friend." he said as she sat back down on the bench with folded arms.

                                                                       Page 6

Chapter Two

     A week later, after cutting his work hours from fourteen to ten a day, six days a week, Cyrus decided to put his plan into effect to find true love. He wanted to add a few casual outfits to his wardrobe so he went to the mall. He found a store and went inside.
     "They have some nice stuff in here." he said to himself as he grabbed a pair of blue jeans. When he turned to look for a shirt he saw a gorgeous young woman walk in. His heart began to pound as he stared her up and down. He couldn't take his eyes off of her. She wore low-rise flared jeans and a purple waist length tee-shirt. She saw him looking at her. She smiled. He waved. She waved back. Cyrus walked over to her.
     "Hi. My name is Cyrus." he said holding out his hand.
     "Hi. My name is Samantha." she smiled and shook his hand.
     "Do you shop here often?" he asked.
     "Yes I do. It's my favorite store. What about you?"
     "This is my first time here. I don't buy too many casual clothes. I have more corporate clothes. I thought it was time for a change. What are you here for?"
     "I'm looking for a blue jean skirt."
     "I see, so may I ask where are you headed once you leave here Samantha?"
     "Home. How about you?"
     "Back home too. Would you like to come back to my apartment and watch a movie with me?" he asked trying to see what type of young woman she was as she smiled.
     "No I wouldn't Cyrus. That would be okay after two or three dates, but right now I would rather go out on a date first." she said as he smiled back relieved that she said no. She was nothing like most of the girls Brian went for.

                                                                      Page 7

     "I'm sorry Samantha. Of course you're right. Please forgive me. I was jumping the gun. How about I get your number and we make plans to do something tomorrow?"
     "Sounds good." she said and wrote down her number. She gave it to him and smiled. "So what time will you call?" she asked as he thought for a few seconds.
     "How about noon?"
     "Noon sounds great. So should we finish shopping together?"
     "Yeah that would be great." he smiled as she began to help him pick out a shirt and he helped her pick out a blue jean skirt. Cyrus offered to buy her skirt along with his clothes. She happily allowed him to. They walked out the store together, said their goodbyes and went their separate ways.
     Cyrus got home and couldn't stop thinking about Samantha. That night while laying in bed he thought of a poem that described her and the way he felt about her. He decided to write it down. he got up and wrote:

                                            "When I saw you walk through the door my
                                             breath was taken away by your beauty.
                                             Your big brown eyes, your lips red as a
                                             rose petal and your black hair black as
                                             night. I wish I may, I wish I might, have
                                             Samantha as my girlfriend tonight."
                                                                                   Yours truly
                                                                                       Cyrus

he finished and went back to bed with Samantha on his mind. Little did he know Samantha went to bed with him on her mind too. She couldn't get his crystal grey eyes, his high chisled cheek bones and dimples or his short wavy brown hair out of her head. She couldn't wait to see him again.

     The next afternoon Cyrus called and they made plans to take a dinner cruise at seven that evening.

                                                                    Page 8

The excitement of the impending date was overwhelming for both of them. Six o'clock finally came around and Cyrus drove over to Samantha's apartment and walked up to her door. He rang her doorbell.
     "It's him!" she excitedly said to herself and ran downstairs. She saw Cyrus through the glass door standing on the building's stoop with one red rose and a card. She opened the door and went out.
     "You look very nice." he said with a smile and handed her the rose and card.
     "Thank you. You look very handsome." she said and opened the note card.
     "Thank you." he smiled as she began to read the card which had the poem he had written the night before in it. She finished it and blushed.
     "We'll see about me becoming your girlfriend tonight. Thank you. The poem was beautiful."
     "You're welcome. Shall we go?" he asked as he extended his arm for her to take. She put her arm into his and they walked to his SUV. He helped her in, he got in and they drove off.

     They arrived at the marina and boarded the ship. It sailed from the dock and they had dinner and dessert as they got to know each other better. They danced in the ship's ballroom until it docked a little after eleven p.m. Cyrus took Samantha for a scenic ride along the city's skyline before taking her back home. It was twelve forty-five a.m. when he walked her to her door.
     "Thanks for an incredible evening Cyrus. Being with you was like a dream come true. I'll never forget it."
     "Same for me. I really like you Samantha. Would you please let me take you out again tomorrow?" he asked as she nodded.
     "I'd love to, but how about I pick you up and take you out? I want to take you to the restaurant I work at. Don't forget, I'm the assistant chef so the meal is on me. I'll cook you my signature dish of fried stuffed meatloaf. It's really good." she finished as Cyrus took her hands and got up close on her looking down into her eyes.

                                                              Page 9

     "I'm sure it is really good just like I know you are really good for me." he said and kissed her passionately as she welcomed the kiss. When they finished he backed away still holding her hands and looked into her eyes again.
     "So what about becoming my girlfriend tonight?"
     "Only if you become my boyfriend." she smiled as they kissed one last time for the night and then they hugged.
     "Goodnight boyfriend."
     "Goodnight girlfriend." he smiled and left as she went inside smiling. Cyrus drove off and went home. Once inside he called his best friend Brian at one a.m. in the morning waking him up. Brian answered the phone quickly.
     "Whoever this is it better be worth waking me up." he said in a low voice.
     "Brian it's me Cyrus. You were right. Being in love can change your life for the better. I am so glad that I gave up all of those extra hours at work. Now I can use them towards this new relationship I just started with Samantha. I met her at the mall and it was an instant attraction. Actually it was like love at first sight. I am truly in love Brian. I have found my one true love and I'm never going to let her go." Cyrus smiled as he felt the true words he spoke overwhelm him as his heart pounded with joy.
     "Well I'm happy for you man." Brian yawned and continued. "I'm glad one of us found true love. I couldn't stay with Lindsey. She was too much like me, love 'em and leave 'em while even trying to love the other's friends right in front of them! I'm a male dog and she was a female dog." Brian finished in a low voice.
     "I'm sorry about that man. I know you liked her a lot."
     "Well I thought I did Cyrus."
     "You thought you did? Wait a minute. What do you mean by that?"
     "Well after I left Lindsey sitting in the park, another cutie jogged by me and you know me,....I

                                                                   Page 10

had to get her number and the number of a cute dog walker who came by right after the cute jogger. What's a boy to do? I guess true love ain't for me."
     "You're something else man. You do what you have to do I guess." Cyrus laughed.
     "Anyway I'm happy for you man and I'll be even happier for you tomorrow after I've had some sleep. I had a very busy night." Brian yawned as he thought about the young woman who left his apartment a few hours ago.
     "Sorry man. I just had to tell you this. I couldn't wait until tomorrow."
     "No problem Cyrus. We'll talk more about it tomorrow. Thanks for caring enough to call. Thanks for being my friend."
     "Thanks for being mine. Later."
     "Later." Brian said and hung up. He looked at the young woman, who came over after the first woman left, who now layed asleep next to him in bed. He kissed her forehead and layed back on his pillow. Cyrus laughed and shook his head as he hung up moments after Brian did. He changed clothes and went to bed. Of course he couldn't sleep because Samantha was still on his mind.
     "I am so in love. I'm sorry but I have to hear your voice one more time." he said and picked up the phone's receiver. He dialed Samantha's number. She answered right away.
     "Hi Cyrus. I was hoping you would call."
     "Hi Samantha. I was hoping you'd still be awake. Is it okay if we talk for a little while?"
     "I can't think of anything better I'd rather do." she smiled as they began to talk about starting a life together.

                                                                        THE END

     "Well it's me Cyrus. I hope you enjoyed my story. I wish Ashley could have wrote more because you would have loved what happened to me and Samantha on our second date! By the way, her fried suffed meatloaf is to die for! Take care readers and don't forget to buy Ashley's above novella when it becomes available for purchase! I'm sure you'll love the other three stories as well. <3                                                            

No comments:

Post a Comment